Monday, January 4, 2010

Reed Shows Improvement, More Surgery Today

by Pa Rock

Reed's numbers elevated some last night, raising some concerns, but this morning they were better. We have been told to expect an occasional step backward as he continues to head toward healing.

Our buddy, Reed, just went back into surgery minutes ago. He is having the packing sponges removed. If there is still any internal bleeding, new sponges will be put in place. Heidi has told us that she is not overly concerned about this operation. In addition to losing a kidney and his spleen, Reed had a couple of significant lacerations on his liver. However, everything continues to show improvement.

I took Justin and Tiffany to the airport an hour ago. They are heading home to finalize arrangements for their father's funeral and burial. Funeral services for Bob Smith will be at the First Baptist Church in Southwest City this Friday at noon. Family will be available in the church for visitation one hour before the funeral. Bob will be buried next to his parents, Ted and Lucy Smith, at the Southwest City Cemetery.

Darrell Spillers, the former President of the Cornerstone Bank in Southwest City, has been very helpful to Bob's kids in getting his affairs lined out. His kindness is much appreciated.

Justin and I have been roommates the past few nights, and I have an increased admiration for my oldest nephew. The other night he told me a couple of things that he has learned from this awful experience. First, he said that his priorities have changed, and he now knows how important it is to enjoy life and be happy while you are here. Second, he said that after dealing with all of this, he now knows that he is capable of handling anything - and he is! Tiffany, Heidi, and Justin have all be amazing during this tragedy. They are very strong and resilient.

Two of Reed's friends from college, Chris Hilton and Josh Davis, arrived in Amarillo today and are camped with us in the hospital waiting room. The young people from Prairie Grove and Jamie are all sharing funny Reed stories with the new arrivals. I am learning way too much about my nephew!

We are patiently waiting for the surgery to be over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you during this difficult time.

with love
Jeff, Kelly and Megan Elwood

Brenda Kilby said...

Thanks again for being so diligent in keeping us updated. You are being very strong in the face of adversity, as usual - I hope you have someone there you can lean on, as well.

Roxanne Tuller said...

I am a co worker and friend of Reed's. I consider myself his Vegas "big sister", at Outwest we are one big happy family!

Pa Rock~ I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for your words that have helped give strength to those of us wanting to help yet feeling so helpless in this situation. Your words make us feel closer to our dear Friend during this time.

My heart, my thoughts, and my prayers go out to you and your family.