Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pa Rock's Dead Pool 2009: And the Winners Are....

by Pa Rock
Dead Pool Manager

My apologies to everyone who has been waiting so long to see the results of our 2009 Dead Pool. As regular readers of this blog know, our family was swamped with tragedy and trauma over the holidays, and some things didn't get done in a timely manner.

There were fourteen entries in last year's contest. Seven of those entries, including my own, did not accurately predict the demise of anyone. Of the other seven...

Camille called it right on Ed McMahon. The death of the eighty-six year old McMahon earned her 14 points. A good showing, but not enough to finish in the money. Eva also hit one by predicting the death of former sex bomb Farrah Fawcett. Her total was 38 points, also out of the money.

Four people tied for second place, earning each a savings bond in the amount of fifty dollars each. Those four picked Michael Jackson as likely to pass away during the year 2009, and each got fifty points for their prescience. The second place winners were Bobby, Iva, Mary, and Molly.

And, the grand prize winner of the one hundred dollar savings bond is...drum roll, please...Pat Tyler of St. Louis! Pat earned seventy-three points by successfully predicting the deaths of Michael Jackson and Ted Kennedy.

I will try to contact all of the winners by email, but in the event that I miss a connection, please send me the address where your prize needs to be sent. Also, if anyone would prefer cash instead of the savings bond please let me know that. (The purchase price of a fifty dollar savings bond is twenty-five dollars, and a one hundred dollar savings bond actually sells for fifty - so keep that in mind.)

Congratulations to you all!

Is there any interest out there in doing this again for 2010? We are already a couple of weeks into the new year, but it's not too late to get one going. Let me hear.

4 comments:

Bk in MO said...

Yes, and I want a piece of the action.

Phillipia said...

Please just give my share to Reed.

I wish I could do more for him and his family, but I am kind of strapped myself right now.

I do feel like the only way the rest of the year can go is up:)

Pa Rock said...

Thanks, Sister Phillipia (Mary Harmon).

I will send your prize money to my sister tomorrow. She and Jamie and Jamie's mom are still in Amarillo taking care of Reed. I am sure they will be able to put your winnings to good use. My vote would be for a big bottle of wine - or some other stress/fatigue reliever!

Rock

Phillipia said...

I like the wine idea:)

Not sure if you have read my blog lately - our family is going through some rough times right now as well and any good thoughts/prayers you want to send our way will be greatly appreciated.