Thursday, September 27, 2012

Justin Trudeau Flexes His Family Charm

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


I was surfing the Internet a couple of weeks ago while I was in Canada, when one of the sites that I frequent, The Huffington Post, recommended that I change to its Canadian edition.   I followed that suggestion, feeling that the news from a Canadian perspective would help me acclimate to being north of the border.  However, now that I am back in the United States, The Huffington Post seems hellbent on keeping me hooked to its Canadian edition.  I have to change the settings manually in order to get the U.S. version – each and every time I visit the site.

One of the things that I am witnessing in the Canadian news is the political rise of Justin Trudeau, the eldest son of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau and his child-bride, Margaret.  Justin, who was born on Christmas Day, 1971, while his father was Prime Minister, is forty-years-old, but based on his photographs and movie-star good looks, he could pass for twenty.    The former high school teacher does have a background in film, having starred five years ago in a mini-series about World War I entitled The Great War.

Young Mr. Trudeau was elected to Canada’s Parliament (the House of Commons) in 2008 from Montreal as a member of the Liberal Party.   He is active in environmental issues and world relief efforts.  He is also seriously considering a bid to be the head of Canada’s Liberal Party, a move that could eventually lead him into becoming Prime Minister.

Pierre Trudeau, who served two stints as Prime Minister for a total of over fourteen years, was known as being personable and charismatic.  It would appear that his oldest son has inherited the family charm and knows how to use it.

No comments: