Friday, May 31, 2019

Today Would Be a Good Day to . . .

by Pa Rock
Farmer in Spring

The sun is shining this morning making the newly-mowed front yard look oh so inviting - perhaps for a leisurely stroll to the mailbox and back, or to follow Rosie as makes her rounds to see which neighborhood dogs have crossed her yard during the night.  Today would be a good day for that.

Today would also be a good day to finish mowing the back yard.  It is not as critical as the front because it cannot be seen from the road, but it needs mowing nonetheless.  I have about three hour's of mowing left to be done.

One of the neighbor's, a young man who also happens to be my dentist, recently was effusive in his praise of how nice my yard looks.  I thanked him for noticing.

My garden also looks nice, but it is hidden behind the house and the dentist likely has never seen it.  This spring it was buried in weeds, and I have spent weeks getting those weeds pulled up by the roots.  I have them in a large, oblong pile that resembles a coffin.  It is green toward the top and brown on the bottom where the older weeds are rotting.  I have plans to build a compost bin and then fork all of that rotting vegetation into it - along with garbage, scraps, and wood chips.  Today would be a good day to finally get that done.

In the garden itself I have tomato plants, several varieties, that are tall and blooming, and I also have a couple of beds of peppers that are just beginning to take off and get big.  I have planted squash and greenbeans as well, and those should be poking through the warm earth soon.  It would be a good day for the remainder of the garden to make its appearance.

Today would be a good day to stroll the yard, front and back, and check on all of the beautiful flowers that I have set out.  The Roost is ablaze with the blooms of roses, begonias, and portulaca, and the  colorful leaves of several varieties of coleus add their own distinctive highlights.

And then there are the grandchildren.  I feel the need to be checking in on them before they all join Boone in college - and today would be a good day to do that.

But for all of my grand desires and good intentions, I know that not much will get done today.  My back has been "out" for two days - as a result of bending over to pull weeds - and every little movement leaves me with searing pain.  I can sit, and I can stand (slowly), and I can lay down (with great effort), but that is about all.

Today would e a good day to accomplish so many things, but most of them won't happen.  I must hope that tomorrow will be a good day also.

No comments: