Wednesday, May 8, 2019

DNA and Cowbells

by Pa Rock
Genealogist

The tee-shirt that I chose to wear to the first day of the National Genealogical Convention is one that I picked up during my visit to Salt Lake City last fall.  It features a spreading tree with many branches along with the caption:  "Genealogy:  Life in the Past Lane!"  I thought I was being cool until I ran into hordes of old people who were also wearing clever genealogy tees.  The nerve of some people!

The conference began with a general session that seemed to run on forever.  It was well attended because there were three really nice door prizes that could only be won by people who were in attendance.  I sat through until the bitter end and still didn't win anything.

There is a large area where vendors have set up their wares.  As I was making my way through the various stalls, a lady reached out and handed me a cowbell that advertised her local genealogical society.  "Thank you," I stammered, and then stuffed it into my already packed briefcase where it clanged for the rest of the morning!  It's too big for Rosie, so I am not sure what I will do with it.

The first workshop that I attended was a general overview of DNA testing as a tool in fleshing out family trees.  I have had my DNA tested by the National Geographic Society and Ancestry.Com, but really had no idea how to incorporate the results into family research.  Now, thanks to this introductory quick course, I have a better understanding of what I need to be doing.  I am taking another DNA course this afternoon that will look at what's on the horizon in DNA research.  It seems to be the future in the genealogy field, especially when it comes to overcoming research problems that were once deemed to be unsolvable or dead ends.

Time for a quick lunch and a brisk walk back to the Convention Center.  More later from St. Charles!

No comments: