Monday, May 6, 2019

Boone at Twenty

by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

My oldest grandchild, Boone Macy, turns twenty today.  Boone, who was born in West Plains just an hour or so after the end of Cinco de Mayo during the last year of the last millennium, now lives in southwest Missouri and is a sophomore at Missouri Southern University in Joplin - a school that his grandfather once attended back when it was known as Missouri Southern State College.

Boone and I met on the day he was born, and he was my only grandchild for over eight years.   During that time we got to know each other fairly well.  I was with him when he took his first long-distance train ride, from Topeka, Kansas, to Flagstaff, Arizona, and was present to see the wonder in his eyes when he caught his first glimpse of the ocean - and not just any ocean, but the world's largest one - the Pacific -  at San Diego!  I was also fortunate enough to have been in Boone's company when he visited Walt Disney World in Florida and took his first cruise out into the Bahamas.  One of the highlights of that cruise for Boone was having lunch in Nassau's Hard Rock Cafe - although his grandfather thought is was a bit on the loud side!

Today Boone is an accomplished guitar player.

And then five years ago Boone and I took a road trip from West Plains to Salem, Oregon, where he spent several days visiting with his West Coast relatives.  While we were on that trip we drove through South Dakota's famous Badlands, visited several tourist spots including the Corn Palace and Wall Drug, drove across Yellowstone Park, experienced May snow in the Rocky Mountains, and saw the Pacific Ocean again.

My grandfather rode into Missouri on a horse-drawn wagon.  Today I have a telephone in my pocket and own a computer that I can take anywhere.   I can't even begin to imagine the things that Boone and his cousins will experience in their lifetimes.

Boone is twenty and standing at the starting gate of a bold adventure.  His grandfather wishes him all the best!

Happy birthday, Boone!   May you be around to celebrate many, many more!

1 comment:

Mineko said...

Best wishes to the entire family.