Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Road Notes

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

I arrived safely at my hotel in St. Charles, Missouri, after a four-hour road trip from West Plains.  There were a couple of highlights on the trip that bear repeating.   First, a local deejay out of West Plains was exercising his jaw between classic rock tunes this morning and mentioned that he had recently tried a new delicacy:  chocolate covered bacon!  That sounds wrong on several levels, but the disc jockey said that it is wonderful.    Perhaps I will order a box for Christmas - and split it with my cardiologist, endocrinologist, and dermatologist!

The other thing that caught my attention was an extremely high billboard - perhaps twenty-five feet or so above the ground - just northeast of Rolla on Interstate 40.  It said, "Thank You President Trump for Making America Great Again!"   I saluted smartly as I drove by the eyesore.

My hotel is fifteen hundred steps from the St. Charles Conference Center where the meeting that I will be attending is being held.  I know that because the shuttle that was supposed to run every twenty minutes never came this afternoon, so another attendee and I decided to walk - and my FitBit knockoff said that we hoofed just over 1,500 steps to get there.  There are no workshops today, but we were able to pick up study materials and handouts for the conference.

There are lots of nice restaurants close to where I am staying, but I will most likely slum it at a Denny's this evening and go some place a bit tonier tomorrow night when I take an old college friend to dinner.  There is also a Bass Pro Shop between the hotel and the Conference Center, so that may require a visit as well.

More notes from the road tomorrow.

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Skeptical, I was, when introduced to the bacon cookies. They were good. But slathering chocolate on a slice of bacon? I like little unrendered fat remaining on my cooked bacon. Most bacon is too fatty. Cover that with chocolate? Maybe we'd get a chocolate/bacon pop, but I ain't gonna chew that fat!

Looks like Trump is doing for America what his tax returns say he's done for Trump; running us into the ground. He is reported to have lost a billion dollars over a decade while living like King Midas.

Trump is a conman, a fraud, and reminds me of that chocolate/bacon pop, a lot of unrendered fat covered by something those that makes the odious seem appealing.