Saturday, June 1, 2019

Kansas City, Yet Again

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I managed to finish the mowing around dusk yesterday with only one catastrophe.   It would have been an uneventful chore, but just as I was beginning the last third or so of the yard, I ran over the garden hose that I had forgotten was stretched through the grass.  My mighty "Dixie Chopper" mower managed to slice completely through the toughest and best garden hose that I have ever owned.

My reserve mower, a Husquevarna rider, is delicate compared to the Dixie Chopper.  When I hit a rock with the Husky, something always gets broken or bent, but the guy that sold me the Dixie Chopper said those days were over.  And, for a change, I was dealing with an honest salesman.  When I hit a rock on the Dixie Chopper, it makes a racket but keeps on mowing.  Lots of times the blade will engage with the rock and pull it out of the ground.  Every time I mow I usually wind up with a dozen or so new large rocks to add to the rock pile.  Rocks are the most dependable and hardiest crop at Rock's Roost!

The ride to Kansas City was long, but unremarkable.  The heated driver's seat in my old flivver felt good on my aching back - and Rosie slept most of the way in her heated passenger seat.  We saw two buckboards of Amish near Diggins, but there was little else to distract me from the monotony of the road.

West Plains to Roeland Park, Kansas, is 279 miles each way.  I began making that drive when I moved to West Plains in 2014 - and I wish now that I had kept track of the trips.  I am certain that I have made the drive at least twenty-five times, and likely more.  Not only does my car know the way, Rosie does, too.  She gets excited when we get to Tim's neighborhood.  I park on the street, and she jumps out and knows exactly which house to run toward.

More later from the road.

No comments: