Saturday, November 23, 2019

Snow, and Buggies, and Cops - Oh, My!

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

Rosie and I are in the Kansas City burbs following a long drive from West Plains.  The trip was bleak and fairly uneventful.  We encountered a couple of brief snow showers east of Springfield, but nothing that slowed traffic or seemed to make the roads dangerous.

I encountered two Amish gentlemen  crossing four lanes of traffic in their horse-drawn buggies in the vicinity of Diggins, Missouri.  That was where it was trying to snow, which probably explains why the men were alone in their buggies.

This is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and the Missouri Highway Patrol was out in full force.  I noticed one patrolman who had a poor motorist pulled over for some road crime, another who seemed to be assisting a motorist with vehicle maintenance issues, and a third who was just lurking along the side of the road.

But it was the fourth patrolman who rattled me.  I was just cruising along north of Bolivar in an area in which many speed, and not paying attention, when I pulled out to pass a newer looking black sedan.  It wasn't until I pulled up even with the other car that I noticed it was a highway patrolman in his official vehicle.  Being committed to passing, I went ahead and completed the maneuver.  Fortunately I was going the speed limit!  Then I carefully signaled and pulled back into the right lane where I stayed for many miles.   That patrolman was doing 60 m.p.h. in a 65 zone, and he was really clogging traffic.  Finally drivers started following my example and passing him - very carefully.

Rosie and I stopped at the Osceola Cheese store in Osceola, Missouri, for a bathroom break.  She took hers outside, and I went inside for mine.  I also had hopes of buying some of their wonderful Amish cheeses, but I arrived just after two tour buses of old farts and fartettes stormed the place.  I made it to the bathroom, but couldn't get anywhere near the checkout register  because of all of the blue hairs who were sampling cheeses and filling their baskets with cheese and tourist crap - so I left cheeseless.

I managed to find holiday music on the radio for almost the entire trip.

One thing of interest on this long drive was that I saw no political bumper stickers or yard signs.  I thought that was odd because every mile that I drove - except for the Kansas City area - was Trump country.  I'm wondering if some of his people are beginning to get embarrassed by his ceaseless rampaging ignorance and don't want to draw attention to themselves.  Embarrassed or not, I suspect that most will vote for him anyway.

I did catch a snippet of two ladies chatting on the radio during the drive.  They were promoting some flavor of Christianity and talking about how a group of witches had placed a curse on Trump.  One of them mentioned "white" magic, and the other cautioned that any "magic" that is not based in Christian teachings is rooted in evil.  The ladies were very pro-Trump and extremely anti-evil - and possibly schizophrenic and likely bi-polar!!

Tomorrow evening we are headed out to see the Kansas City Rep's production of  "A Christmas Carol."  It will be the fourth year in a row in which we have celebrated the start of the holiday season with Mr. Scrooge and his friends!


1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Bryce takes drum lessons once a week from the Village Music Academy. The VMA is located in a shopping center called the Shops of Prairie Village. If Norman Rockwell were to paint the idealized American mall, this would be the place, but I digress. While not offering Amish made cheeses the Better Cheddar provides their customers with a wide variety of cheeses from several nations. You might check them out on Mission Road between Tomahawk and 71st Street.