Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Autumn at The Roost

by Pa Rock
Farmer in Fall

When I first moved into my little farmhouse, more than five years ago now, there was a large maple tree about fifteen feet in front of the window where I sit and type each morning.  That old tree had several branches that were perfect for birdhouses and feeders, and for the next several years I always had an abundance of birds to watch while banging out my daily thoughts and outrages on the computer by the window.

But that great old tree began splitting and causing all manner of havoc in the yard, and I finally had it removed.  Last winter I thought about setting up some feeders, but never figured out just how I wanted to do it, so the birds moved on down the road - at least I hope that they did.  I did put out some corn-on-the-cob feeders for the squirrels, and they grew fat and demanding as the winter wore on.

This week I finally went out and bought some new bird feeders and metal poles with large hooks for hanging them in approximately the same places where the old feeders used to be.  Two days ago I cleared out an area around the stump of the old maple tree and set about marking it off with blocks and bricks which I will - today, hopefully - fill in with plastic sheeting and gravel, and then get those feeders up and filled!

I have nearly a hundred pounds of sunflower seeds and the same amount of hen scratch that will fill the feeders. so they should be full and swinging in the breeze by this time tomorrow.   Then I will have to wait for word to circulate on the wild bird grapevine, but at some point soon my friends should hopefully come home.

My son has done some major work spreading bentonite (crushed clay) around the base and sides of the sad little pond, and it is now holding more water than it has retained since I have lived here.  That new water resource has brought in deer - some evenings as many as ten - and a few other creatures to drink at the pond.  I also have a salt lick set up there which is an extra inducement for wildlife to visit.   Did you know that squirrels and groundhogs enjoy salt almost as much as the deer, and even little Rosie will sneak a lick every now and then!

For the past two days a pair of bald eagles have been doing lazy circles above The Roost, perhaps also as a result of the enhanced pond.  It's great to see nature on the rise and interacting across species.

In other farm news, Fiona's latest batch of kittens have all moved on to new homes.  The gray one, which was the shy one of the litter, went to a little girl who had "lost" a gray kitty - I didn't press for details - and she was thrilled to find a replacement.  The other four went as a group to a farm in Dora, which should be a good place for young cats to run and play and be cats.  (You can't get much further out in the woods than a farm in Dora, Missouri!).  And Fiona, who will be spending a day with the vet soon, has had her last babies.

And the farmer is fine.  He plans on going to Kansas City in a couple of weeks to see a stage production of "A Christmas Carol" with two of his grandchildren - and then, most likely - Christmas at home with the chickens, cats, birds, squirrels, deer, dogs, his oldest son, and Alexa!

Best wishes from Pa Rock and all of his friends at The Roost!

No comments: