Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Janet Wright's Doppelgänger

by Pa Rock
Television Fan

As I mentioned in this space the past couple of days, the Kansas Macys and I attended a performance of "A Christmas Carol" at the KC Rep in Kansas City this past Sunday evening.  It was the fourth year in a row that we have been able to see the wonderful stage production of Charles Dickens' timeless tale of the magic of Christmas.

As we were fixing to leave the theatre I caught a look at a lady in front of me as she was gathering her stuff, and I stood there staring, dumbfounded because I knew her - but could not think of who she was.   The poor lady returned my stare, leading me to think that perhaps I had struck some chord of familiarity with her as well.  She appeared to be close to my age, and I made an assumption that she was probably someone I had known in college.

As we were leaving the theatre, I noticed her and her party walking up the ramp to the exit on the opposite side of the auditorium and I pointed her out to my son and daughter-in-law.  "The lady in the checked dress is someone I know, but I can't remember who she is."  They both resisted the urge to suggest putting me into a home, and we made our way outside among the crowds headed toward the parking lots.

As we were nearing our car, I heard the woman - heard her!  Although I had not heard her speak inside of the theatre, I knew it was her speaking because I recognized her voice!  I turned and there she was - her and a man about her age and another couple.  At that point I decided that I had to say something, although it was sure to sound stupid.  As they stepped along beside us, I turned to the woman and said, "Excuse my rudeness, but I think that I must know you.  I'm Rocky Macy and I attended SMS."  (Southwest Missouri State)

She smiled back and said, very pleasantly, "Did you ever work at Hallmark during the past twenty-five years?"

I hadn't.  (Hallmark Cards is a major employer in Kansas City.)

Then the other lady in her group snarked, "Maybe you saw her picture in a restroom someplace!"  Giggles all around.

But I knew the face and I knew the voice - and I was truly bothered and perplexed.

Yesterday on the long drive home as Rosie and I were listening to holiday music on the radio and watching the world fly by, I suddenly realized who the mystery woman was.  For the past several months I have been watching a Canadian sitcom called "Corner Gas" which ran for 107  episodes from 2004 through 2009.  The woman whom I had confronted the night before was Janet Wright, the actress who played Emma Leroy, the star's mother in the show.  She was her spitting image and even had the identical distinctive voice.  There had been one actor on the stage the night before who had appeared in several U.S. sitcoms, and perhaps she had been in the Kansas City area and came to see him - or some other thespian friend - perform.

And shame on Ms. Wright for keeping me guessing the night before!

This morning I determined to write Janet Wright a fan letter and post it in this blog, a letter in which I might poke a little fun at her for not admitting who she was to the unwashed masses.   But before I got started on the letter, I hopped on over to Google to see if I could determine her Kansas City connections.

But Janet Wright had no Kansas City connections - in fact she was completely unplugged.  Janet Wright had passed away in November of 2016 in Vancouver, Canada - and unless she was the Ghost of Christmas Present, it was someone entirely different whom I had harassed at the play.

A Doppelgänger at "A Christmas Carol."    How very apropos!

Rest in peace, Janet Wright.

(More later on "Corner Gas,"  which touts itself as the most popular sitcom in the history of Canadian television.  In addition to the 107 episodes, it had its own movie version and a cartoon spinoff.  The show is available over Amazon Prime.  Very funny stuff!)

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

This is a Dickens of a tale. Perhaps you've laid the groundwork for a Christmas Carol of your own.