Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Holidays from @CenturyLink!

by Pa Rock
Wifi Thief

It's Thanksgiving morning, but instead of being curled up on the couch with a turkey drumstick watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on by beautiful big-screen television, I am sitting in my car outside of the local McDonald's dining on a sausage biscuit and stealing wifi to post today's blog.  And to frost this fine holiday cake, a cold rain is falling.

My wifi at home went out the night before last during a storm.  Having dealt with my ISP, @CenturyLink, for years, I knew the routine for checking my home connection, and was able to determine that it was a line issue outside of the house.  Surely someone would be out taking care of it.

(Wifi at my house controls my computer usage, television access, and Alexa.  Without it I am reduced to reading books and listening to radio - and only one station comes in on my old beater of a radio.)

Service was still out yesterday afternoon, so I called the local CenturyLink repairman directly - and left a message.  He was undoubtedly out working the lines to get everyone reconnected.  That must be why he never called me back.

This morning with still no internet service, I called the main number and got on the disinformation telephone carousel for about ten minutes before the company finally got tired of harassing me and put a human on the line.   Eventually the lady conceded that I had been right all along and it was a line issue.  She scheduled a service provider to come to my home - on Monday - between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Or, translated, their service provider was home enjoying a holiday weekend with his family, but he will come by to see me on Monday.  Please be sure that someone can be available all day so he can get in and do his job.

Pa Rock is retired - and he will be home - even if he has other things that he would like to be doing.  But he wonders:  what do working people do in the same situation?

There ought to be a law against causing a Macy to miss the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

Happy holidays from @CenturyLink!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

I don't think that Missouri recognizes the tort of negligent infliction of emotional distress. Neither, I think, is your provider regulated as a utility. Theories of recovery are not likely to pique the zeal of an attorney.