Sunday, November 24, 2019

Holiday Music and Movies

by Pa Rock
Holiday Reveler

Call me sentimental, but I'm one of those people who really enjoys the sights and sounds of the holiday season.

I mentioned yesterday that I had listened to Christmas songs most of the way from West Plains to Kansas City, finding radio stations in both Springfield and Kansas City that were already playing continuous holiday favorites - and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Actually, I heard the first song of the season on the radio way back on October 31st - I marked it on my calendar - when a West Plains station played "Walking Around in Women's Underwear" by Bob Rivers.   That old chestnut, which is sung to the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland," always gets me into the holiday spirit!  Another favorite, which I haven't heard yet this year, is Elmo and Patsy's lovely "Gramma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."   It's hard not to be in a festive mood with good music like that serving as the holiday soundtrack!

And then there's the movies!  I've mentioned here before that my favorite Christmas film is "The Ref," a 1994 comedy based loosely on O. Henry's "The Ransom of Red Chief," in which a bungling burglar, Denis Leary, kidnaps a couple in an effort to avoid the police.  Unfortunately for the burglar, he soon learns that he has kidnapped the couple from hell - and he gets swept up into their family battles.  "The Ref" is a great flick that highlights the raging emotions that often erupt during holiday gatherings.

I also like "Home Alone" which looks at the pleasant aspects of celebrating the season without the complications of family.  And, for those wanting a third great holiday movie for the Christmas season, there is always Bruce Willis in the original "Die Hard."  It just doesn't get much more festive than that!

Tonight, however, the Kansas Macys and Pa Rock will be soaking up some live Christmas entertainment as they enjoy their holiday tradition of attending the KC Rep's annual performance of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."  That Ebenezer fellow sure knew how to squeeze the most out of the season!

May all of your pre-Thanksgiving Christmas activities be as merry and special as mine!

No comments: