Thursday, October 3, 2019

Imperial Beach at Sunset

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

Imperial Beach is an older community on the south edge of San Diego and within spitting distance of Tijuana, Mexico.  It is known for surfing and was the setting for the short-lived Showtime series a few years back called "John from Cincinnati" which focused on a family of rough-and-ready surfers.   I enjoy the more relaxed nature of Imperial beach and try to get down there each time I am in the San Diego area.

Yesterday evening after my friend Valerie got out of her class, we drove to Coronado "Island" and on south to Imperial Beach.  It was Valerie's first trip to that old beach community, and I was concerned that she might not find it as charming as I always did.  But I worried for no reason because she immediately fell in with the beat of the place.

One of our mandatory stops was at the beach itself.  We entered right at the famous bronze statue of the surfer, just above the pier.  Almost immediately we struck up a conversation with a couple from Louisiana who were visiting in the area to help their granddaughter celebrate her fourth birthday.  It was right at sunset and they took pictures of us on the beach, and Valerie took pictures of them.

After a walk along the beach, we stopped at one of the small town's 7-Elevens to stock up on junk food so that we could avoid the high prices at the Hilton back in La Jolla.

I assumed that because Imperial Beach is a bit off of the beaten path, and not as upscale as San Diego, that property would be cheaper there.   But when we perused properties posted in the window of a real estate office, many were in the seven figures!

Back in the 1950's when I visited San Diego as a child, we stayed with my Uncle Wayne and Aunt Mary and their girls in their house on a hillside that overlooked the Pacific..  A few years back Aunt Mary drove me by that house.  It was as I remembered, a nice place, but nothing special - just an ordinary home in a beautiful setting.  She said that the last time it sold, a few years before we drove by, it had gone for over $800,000!  (I guess that's why normal people wind up in places like West Plains, Missouri!)

Valerie is in class today, and I am lazing about the hotel and listening to the latest Trump outrages via CNN.  We will be back in San Diego tonight and most of tomorrow when Valerie is not in class - and tomorrow night we will go out to dinner with Aunt Mary and my cousins Linda and Janet and their husbands - always a highlight of being in San Diego!

All of that, and the weather is beautiful!

No comments: