Saturday, October 5, 2019

Aunt Mary and Hernandez Hideaway

by Pa Rock
Travelin' Fool

Valerie and I visited my Aunt Mary at her home in San Diego yesterday afternoon.  She has a beautiful two-bedroom home in a subdivision that caters to "seniors" - those age fifty-five and over.  Aunt Mary is ninety-four, so she qualifies!

Aunt Mary has lived in San Diego since 1942.  She remembers having to keep the curtains drawn at night so any passing Japanese patrol boats would not be able to see the city - and she remembers the camouflage netting that was strung up over the port area during World War II.  At one time she was a fashion model at the El Cortez Hotel and at other venues around the city.

After a nice visit throughout much of the afternoon, we loaded into Aunt Mary's car for a drive of twenty miles or so to a Mexican restaurant, Hernandez Hideaway, that her family frequents most Friday evenings.  Aunt Mary insisted on driving so that Valerie and I could enjoy the scenery, and she was not the least bit shy about asserting herself in southern California's hairball traffic!

My cousins, Janet and Linda, and Janet's husband Michael, were waiting for us at the restaurant where we proceeded to have great meals and lots of fun conversation.  Although the place was busy, most of the staff found time to engage with our party because they are some of their most regular customers.

It was a very good evening.   I always enjoy catching up with my California relatives!

This morning Valerie and I had breakfast at a restaurant in Del Mar that we actually discovered yesterday, and then drove to Old Town where we did a quick walking tour and visited several of the shops.  This afternoon we are at the airport waiting on our flights home - her to Honolulu and me to Kansas City.  I decided to dress for San Diego and should get a few chuckles at KCI at ten o'clock tonight when I get off of the plane wearing  shorts, tee-shirt, and sandals!

Tomorrow Tim's family and I are going to the Kansas City Renaissance Festival, and then it's home to see Rosie on Monday!

No comments: