Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bagging Memories

by Pa Rock
Stirrer of Dust

This was sort of a melancholy day. I went through all of my dad's files trying to determine what was safe to throw away and what would need to be burned. Also opened boxes and looked through things before the auctioneer and his team descend on the old homestead this weekend. Lots of memories, many in ill-repair and all covered with a thick coating of dust. But there are times in life when you have to let things go - and this is one of those times.

One thing, however, that should always be maintained and cherished is friendship. My close friend, Mollie Carroll, came by the house this evening and spent several hours delighting me with recollections of growing up in Noel. Mollie taught school for many years in New York City and was a member of the theatre scene there - and she is one of the most interesting people that I know. Tonight I gave her lessons on how to use "the google."

Juan and Alma Garza stopped by to help get some things ready for the sale. They, too, are wonderful people and good friends. They were always exceedingly kind to my dad.

Tomorrow my sons will arrive in town and the work will start getting serious. It will be good to have them here for moral support.

No comments: