Friday, September 2, 2016

The Oregon Grandchildren

by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

I have six grandchildren, one in Missouri, two in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City, and three in Oregon.  All are great kids, and I don't get to see any of them as often as I would like - but visits with the Oregon grandchildren are particularly hard to come by due to the distance involved.  Right now I am on a brief visit to see them - my first time in Oregon in exactly a year.

I was with Sebastian, Judah, and Willow for most of the day today, and we will be together again tomorrow.  I head home on Sunday, and the three kids begin school over the following week.  

Today the kids and their parents went to Judah's school for a "meet and greet" with the new teachers and to get a look at Judah's new classroom.  Pa Rock tagged along and got to see how much education has progressed over the past couple of decades.  Judah likes school, and after meeting several of the teachers and touring the cutting-edge facility, this old former educator can certainly see why.  

Quality teachers are the absolute basic building blocks of our democratic civilization - and they should be respected and paid accordingly.

Willow spent some time trying to teach me how to play Mario Brothers on a tablet, but her student was all thumbs and kept getting killed.  Sebastian rode his bike up and down the sidewalk and showed off his proficiency on roller skates, and Judah let me watch him play a train game on his tablet and then put on one of his favorite movies for his entertainment and mine.  It was called "Up," and we will finish it tomorrow.

Also tomorrow we may take in the Oregon State Fair - which should be fun.

(Internet service at my hotel is hideous, reminding me of the frustration of trying to blog in Cuba!  Fortunately there is a fast food joint within walking distance that operates in the twenty-first century!)

No comments: