Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday's Poetry: "Woman Work"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Today is Labor Day, a time set aside for honoring America's working men and women.    However, as any parent will quickly point out, some of the hardest and most demanding work comes without benefit of a pay check or even a regular day off.  Today's poetry selection, "Woman Work," by Maya Angelou, pays homage to moms trying to keep everything together as they raise their children.  Sadly, many mothers today live the life that Angelou so artfully depicts and also have to hold down regular jobs on the side - and much of the income from the paid jobs goes to daycare providers.

This is for Molly and Erin - who both have husbands who help with the kids.


Woman Work
by Maya Angelou




I've got the children to tend
The clothes to mend
The floor to mop
The food to shop
Then the chicken to fry
The baby to dry
I got company to feed
The garden to weed
I've got shirts to press
The tots to dress
The can to be cut
I gotta clean up this hut
Then see about the sick
And the cotton to pick.

Shine on me, sunshine
Rain on me, rain
Fall softly, dewdrops
And cool my brow again.

Storm, blow me from here
With your fiercest wind
Let me float across the sky
'Til I can rest again.

Fall gently, snowflakes
Cover me with white
Cold icy kisses and
Let me rest tonight.

Sun, rain, curving sky
Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone
Star shine, moon glow
You're all that I can call my own.

No comments: