Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dear Little Miss Macy



Dear Little Miss Macy,

You arrived in this world at 8:31 this morning (October 12, 2011) and have already made so many people so very happy!  You weighed eight-and-a-half pounds and were nineteen inches long.  You were born with a good set of lungs, but did not cry much except during your first bath.  (And I would have cried too if some mean old nurse had scrubbed me down in front of a room full of strangers!)

Your daddy was in the room when the doctor helped your mommy to bring you into the world, and a posse of happy relatives rushed into the room soon after you were born.  I was one of them, and I felt so fortunate to have been able to be there on your first day because I live far, far away.

All I could think of when I first saw you swaddled in blankets in your tiny hospital bassinet was how much you reminded me of your daddy on the day he was born.  It seems like such a short time ago, but he is a grown man now and the father of his own baby.

Time moves far too quickly.  Don't ever forget that, and always take time to enjoy yourself.  You  may have to remind your parents every now and then that you are a kid and you are supposed to have fun!

You are my first granddaughter.  You have three boy cousins on your daddy's side of the family - and will have a new girl cousin in December - and you have three girl cousins on your mommy's side of the family.  Your oldest girl cousin, Mia, came to the hospital to see you today.  She looked so happy as she held you and rocked you.

I held you a couple of times myself while you slept, and I thought could anything be more wonderful than a new little life getting ready to experience and impact the world?

Tonight you and your mommy and daddy are all staying at the hospital, and I am staying at your house taking care of your cat, Mr. Furley.  He is not sure what is happening, but he knows that something big is in the works.  When you get home you can sit by the window and help him watch the possums!

Little Miss Macy, I will be leaving on Friday and going back to Okinawa, but you and your parents will be coming to see me there in a few months.  I am so anxious to show you off to all of my friends!  I will be moving back to the United States in less than a year, and then we will see other much more often.

I will miss you - and all of my grandchildren - when I leave this weekend, but I won't worry about any of you because you have wonderful parents who will love and protect you.   As you go through life make them proud and make me proud - and make yourself proud, too.  You will make a few mistakes, we all do, but never let them defeat you - and know that lots and lots of people love you and will always be there for you.

I love you very much!

Pa Rock

P.S.  If your parents haven't figured out your name by the time I leave on Friday morning, I will be calling you by the lovely six-digit security code that the hospital gave you this morning!  (Just kidding - maybe!)

1 comment:

Carla Brown said...

Congrats! I am now in the Grandparent games as well with four grandsons: 11 month old triplets: Jake, Nate, and Blake. They were joined three weeks ago by Alexander Wayne. Sold the House in KC and moved to St. Louis to be closer to the guys!