Friday, September 24, 2010

What I Can Do for My Country

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


Kudos to Barbara Williams, the Clerk of McDonald County, Missouri, and her fine staff for getting my absentee ballot for the November general election to me on September 24th - all the way to Okinawa, Japan.  That's exemplary service!  Now I will be able to cast my vote against Roy Blunt with plenty of time to spare!

There are several offices in McDonald County where only Republicans are on the ballot - it's that kind of place - and in two of the challenged races I actually prefer the Republican.   (That must be old age settling in!)  But by and large I will ignore the unopposed candidates and vote Democratic on the others.  Clearly, the U.S. Senate race in Missouri is the big kahuna, and I still predict that Robin Carnahan will prevail over Blunt.

There is one statewide initiative measure of note on the ballot that is worth support.  It is focused on puppy mills, which are, along with meth production, two of Missouri's sleaziest and most lucrative industries.  The ballot measure would require large-scale dog-breeding operations to provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space, necessary veterinary care, regular exercise, and adequate rest between breeding cycles.  It would also prohibit any breeder from having more than 50 breeding dogs for the purpose of selling their puppies as pets.  And finally, it would create a misdemeanor crime of "puppy mill cruelty" for any violations of the publicly-initiated law.  This initiative sounds like a step in the right direction - but fifty breeding dogs is still one hell of a big operation!

Ol' Roy, my vote against you will go out in the mail tomorrow.  It's the least I can do for my country!

No comments: