Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stray Cat Blues

by Pa Rock
Future Ex-Arizonan

Scroungy Bastard and I said our goodbyes twice tonight. I took him to my neighbor's house, as prearranged with them. The neighbors are away for a few weeks, and they have another neighbor coming in each evening to feed their cat, Anson. Scroungy did not like being forcibly taken to Anson's house, and he was most unhappy when I left him there.

Then I went home and packed.

A couple of hours later as I was preparing to drive off, Scroungy came walking down the street, very pleased with himself at being loose. I am guessing that he must have seized the moment and bolted when the neighbor showed up to put out their supper. I tried to coax him to me so that I could take him back to the neighbor's, but Scroungy, who had been fooled once this evening, was having none of that.

So as I drove out of the Wheezin' Geezer for the last time, Scroungy Bastard was roaming the park free, exactly as he was when we met a year ago. He has had his shots now - $250 worth - and is in tip-top health, so I suspect he will make it. The neighbors will be home in another week, and he really likes them, so I am hopeful that he will be a successful beggar until they return.

Scroungy, buddy, I wish you well. Live free and prosper - I plan to!

No comments: