Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Long Climb to the Capitol

by Pa Rock
Tourist

Utah's capitol building sits on a hill at the end of State Street, not too far from the center of Salt Lake City.  It is a prominent feature in the city's skyline - and is a focal point in the view from my hotel window.   The building is a domed affair with wings extending to the left and right, very similar on the outside to the capitol buildings of the United States and my home state of Missouri - but not as large as those buildings.

Yesterday, after a quick lunch at the downtown food court, I determined to make the long climb up to the Capitol and absorb a bit more of Utah's unique history and culture - and it was a mighty long climb.  The trip up the hill, on foot, took about half-an-hour.  Once I made it to the property I sat for several minutes to catch my breath - and then climbed the forty-one steps to get to the large, brass front doors.

The legislature wasn't at work (it was Friday) and the building was largely empty, but a large banquet was being set up on the main floor directly beneath the dome.  Several Japanese tourists were strolling the halls and taking pictures, though there was little in the way of art work on the walls.  One couple stopped and visited with me.  They were surprised at the lack of security throughout the building.

The structure, all marble and granite, was impressive, but it was also cold and relatively unadorned.  Overall, I was not impressed.

The good news was that the walk back to town - downhill all the way - took less than ten minutes!

No comments: