Tuesday, September 11, 2018

First Morning at the Mormon Library

by Pa Rock
Family Researcher

I'm back in my hotel room having lunch and relaxing after a morning of doing family research at the Mormon Library.  The first couple of hours in the library was moderately productive, in spite of the hour that our group spent getting "oriented" this morning, a waste of time, at least for me, that I will never get back again.  I learn by doing, not by having someone drone on and on about how to do something - while a pair of magpies sitting behind me never shut up!

This morning I went through some books about counties in southwest Missouri where I unearthed a bit of history on two branches of the family - and - I found a photo of my mother's maternal grandparents (my great-grandparents) that I had never seen before.

One of the researchers working with our group stopped by my work area to see if I needed any help.  I didn't, but while we were talking I mentioned that I had computerized all of my old newspaper genealogy columns (242 in total) and indexed the entire collection.  Would the Mormon's like a copy for their library, I asked, and she said yes before I had even finished asking.  So, if you're ever at the Mormon Library here in Salt Lake City, look for "Rootbound in the Hills."  It will be on the third floor.

Speaking of ancestors - I just saw Jimmy Swaggart on the local television station.  He looks about as old as Pat Robertson - and just a couple of years younger than God!

More from Salt Lake City later.

No comments: