Saturday, July 2, 2016

There's a Big Hole in My Bucket List

by Pa Rock
Radio Listener

The older I get, the more important my bucket list becomes to me.  I still have several places that I want to see and things I would like to do before I kick the bucket.  For instance, I would like to visit Bermuda and Iceland - and Greece and the Aegean Islands - and travel at least once below the equator where I could observe the Southern Cross and watch water swirl the wrong way down a drain.

I have also harbored an ambition for many years to attend a live broadcast of Garrison Keillor's wonderful radio program, A Prairie Home Companion.  Keillor created the unique piece of Americana four decades ago, and I discovered it about twenty years ago and have been a fan ever since.  Sadly for me, and for the rest of the world, Keillor ended his involvement with the program last night with a live performance at the Hollywood Bowl.

There is a hole in my bucket list that cannot be repaired, but I will take some consolation and comfort in the knowledge that re-broadcasts of the show will run forever.

I will miss you, Garrison, and Guy Noir, and Dusty and Lefty, and all of the quirky residents of Lake Woebegone - where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all of the children are above average.  Your passing leaves not only a hole in my bucket list, but a hole in my heart as well.

Thanks for all of the smiles and laughter - and the memories!

No comments: