Thursday, October 15, 2015

McDonald's Breakfast Anytime

by Pa Rock
Fast Food Junkie

A cultural shift of seismic proportions swept over the land last week when fast-food retailer McDonald's began selling breakfast all day long - every damned day of the week.  No longer do consumers have to rush to their local Macky Dee's by 10:30 a.m. in order to wolf down a four-or-five-hundred calorie fat bomb, with egg.  Now, thanks to a new company policy, those coronary insults can be ordered up anytime, day or night.

It's a wonderful life!

The local McDonald's ran a breakfast special for a couple of weeks preceding the shift to breakfast-all-day.  That special was two Sausage Egg McMuffins for the price of one.  Those fat boys weigh in at a hefty 470 calories each.  Not knowing about the sale, I pulled in one day and ordered one of the sandwiches from my car.  The lady on the speaker clued me in to the sale when she asked if I wanted my free sandwich also.  Of course I wanted it.  I didn't need it, but I felt entitled since it was part of the sale come-on.   And once I had two Sausage Egg McMuffins in my car, chances were excellent that I would wind up eating them both.  That's 940 calories just for breakfast!

But how can a rational person pass on something that's free?

McDonald's "Big Breakfast" platters are over a thousand calories each, and several of the sandwiches on the menu top out at over 500 calories.  Instead of increasing the hours that it serves breakfast, McDonald's could have probably caused an increase in American health rates by reducing the breakfast hours.

But what fun would that be?

For a healthy breakfast at McDonald's - any time - check out the oatmeal - but order it without the brown sugar sweetener.  Plain oatmeal isn't much fun, but it is good for you!

No comments: