Friday, March 28, 2014

Six More Weeks of Confusion

by Pa Rock
Gentleman Farmer

Winter lingers in an on-again, off-again mode with a nasty day followed by a tolerable day, followed again by one is cold and wet.   Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow on February 2nd and accurately forecast six more weeks of winter.  But that deadline has come and gone, leaving spring sputtering to start.

Today I saw a groundhog.  As I stepped out onto my back porch, I spotted a medium-sized weather predictor slowly ambling out of the barn.   When Howl County Hal noticed me, at a distance of fifty yards or so, he turned and scampered back into the barn - leaving me to speculate that we are in for six more weeks of confusing weather.

I took another nice drive across the Ozarks today - this time to Springfield, Missouri, where I visited a Home Depot, Barnes and Noble, K-Mart, and concluded the day with dinner at the Longhorn Steakhouse with several friends from my days as a child protection worker in Missouri.  One of my friends is retiring after twenty-nine years of looking after Missouri's children and families.  Another is moving from the Branson area to Kirksville in the morning!  It was so good seeing those ladies and catching up on ten years worth of gossip!

All of those businesses were located on land that was cow pastures back when I was in college in Springfield.  The city is almost unrecognizable from what it was then.

I did buy some flower bulbs at the Home Depot.  If it is sunny tomorrow, I will be outside digging holes!

No comments: