Thursday, March 20, 2014

Driving the Ozarks

by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

I made a trek across northwest Arkansas this morning and into southwest Missouri where I had to check up on a couple of rental properties and a few old friends.  It is the first day of spring, and the scenery along the way was accordingly beautiful.

The trip was pleasurable, though uneventful.  I drove through small towns, past flea markets and roadside quilt shops, and by a couple of herds of little goats.   Interspersed among all of the Walmart trucks clogging up the roads were farmers taking their cattle to market, mini-buses taking senior citizens to market, and tourists soaking up the scenery.  I did see some sort of emergency drill on the public square of Yellville, Arkansas.  (Isn't that a great name for a town!)

The low point of the day was lunch at Braum's in Springdale, Arkansas.  Braum's was always my dad's favorite place to eat and is somewhat of a mecca for us old farts.  I hadn't even seen a Braum's in a decade, so when I came upon the one in Springdale I decided to stop.  I had a burger - and regretted it.  Who puts mayo on a burger?  And there was enough vegetation between the buns to clog a composter.

But it was great seeing old friends this afternoon and catching up.

Tonight I am at my sister's new home in Fayetteville, Arkansas - go Razorbacks!   Gail has a 65-inch flat screen television.  Watching it puts me in mind of olden days at the local drive-in theatre!




No comments: