Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday's Poetry: "Spring Rain"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

It's raining today in the Ozarks, off and on under dark skies, and the birds rush out to the feeder between each downpour.  They are used to the vagaries of rain.  I am not.

Today's rain is not a thunderstorm, just rain.  But the rain is to continue all week, and I am hopeful that I will get to enjoy some thunder and lightening while Mother Nature waters the lawns and fields.  The trees are budding out, and this water from above is a good thing.

It has been years, literally, since I have been around a real storm, one with the bang and roar of thunder and the ragged electric show of lightening.  It hardly ever rained in Phoenix, and when it did the sideshow of thunder and lightening never happened.  Oh, sometimes lightening could be seen off in the distant mountains, but never down in the Valley of Hell.  Our storms were made of dust.

The rain was far more abundant on Okinawa, but, again,while the rain might come in torrents, thunder and lightening were exceedingly rare.

When my children were growing up, we lived in an old, large house with a wrap-around porch where we would often sit on stormy nights and enjoy the nature's show.  Here, at my new home, I also have a great covered porch - and I can't wait for my first really good West Plains storm!

Here is how Sara Teasdale captured the magic of a spring storm:


Spring Rain
by Sara Teasdale

I thought I had forgotten, 
But it all came back again 
To-night with the first spring thunder 
In a rush of rain.

I remembered a darkened doorway 

Where we stood while the storm swept by, 
Thunder gripping the earth 
And lightning scrawled on the sky.

The passing motor busses swayed, 

For the street was a river of rain, 
Lashed into little golden waves 
In the lamp light's stain.

With the wild spring rain and thunder 

My heart was wild and gay; 
Your eyes said more to me that night 
Than your lips would ever say. . . .

I thought I had forgotten, 

But it all came back again 
To-night with the first spring thunder 
In a rush of rain. 

No comments: