Saturday, January 1, 2011

Paul the Goat Man

by Pa Rock
World Traveler


One of the things that I did to properly close out 2010 was to telephone my old friend, Paul Antos, who has a small dairy goat farm in the woods of Oregon.  It had been about two years  since I last spoke to Paul, and I felt like I needed to tell him that I was back on Okinawa.  Paul and I served together on this tiny island in the early 1970's and have not seen each other since.

Paul told me that his "baby" brother, a Marine Corps E-9, had recently left Okinawa - so Paul was somewhat caught up on the changes that have occurred here.  He said that his brother had told him about some local sea mammals (resembling manatees) that have found their way to Okinawa, and I told him that I would check that out.  Paul was a diver while stationed here and has an interest in marine life.

Paul is quite the character.  He and his wife, Wendy, live on a farm without electricity.  I never asked how he has managed to stay connected to a phone line - possibly a cell phone - but I have visions of him doing a "Green Acres" thing and climbing a telephone pole every time he needs to make or receive a call!

I wish Paul and Wendy Antos the happiest of New Years!

No comments: