Wednesday, September 2, 2026

The View from the Rearview Mirror

 
by Pa Rock
Traveling Fool

The 275 miles of busy road between Roeland Park, Kansas, and West Plains, Missouri, are now safely in the rearview mirror.  I didn't sleep at all last night, probably due to too much iced tea during the day, so I knew as I headed out at straight-up 7-ish this morning that the drive would be challenging, and in that regard it did not disappoint. I put my little Korean smart car in auto-pilot mode at about the 2/3 mark, and when i finally came to, it was parked in my driveway at home.

I almost didn't recognize the place.  My oldest son, Nick, and a friend of his had taken down two maple trees in the back yard - trees which would have eventually fallen on the house.   A big limb from one of them fell across the deck last spring during a storm, but amazingly did no damage  So I was glad to see them gone, and their removal really opened up the back yard and now we can see some of the other trees for a change - including more maples, oaks, and singleton hickory, cedar, pear, and walnut trees.

Nick also completed a wooden handrail on the back porch while I was gone.  He's trying to keep his feeble old man from falling down so much - and his old man is greatful.  The railing is solid and very nice.

Yesterday afternoon, Tim, my youngest son, and I had a very good visit with my new heart doctor at KU Med Center about ten miles from Tim and Erin's home.  She struck me as very bright, young enough to still be current on her medical training, yet old enough to have solid work ethics, and in possession of exemplary social skills.  The doctor took her time in explaining my current health status and what she could do to correct things.  She also answered all of our questions carefully and thoughtfully.

I will be returning for a procedure that will require an overnight stay in the hospital during Halloween week.  I haven't decided whether to go in costume or not.

Nap time - before I start to get goofy!

No comments: