Tuesday, August 13, 2024

What is Missing

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I left West Plains on the Chicago trip a week ago today, very early on Tuesday morning which was primary Election Day in Missouri.  There was still plenty of campaign signage on display, both locally as well as on the road, because voters would be going to the polls all day.  It was also primary day in Kansas, the state that was my destination on that day.   But all of the political propaganda that I saw on Tuesday was for state and local offices.  What was missing was any yard signs or bumper stickers relating to national politics.  (In past election years Trump signs had been all too common - especially in rural Missouri.)

One bookstore that my niece and I visited in Andersonville, Illinois, featured a wide array of Kamala merchandize, especially tee-shirts, but I was looking for yard signs or bumper stickers to bring home and found none.  There were a few Harris-Walz yard signs up in my niece's neighborhood, but again, just a smattering - and nothing for Trump.

I guess it will all get rolling on Labor Day, the traditional start of the campaign season, and that surprises me because I expected the mud to be flying early and hard this campaign season.  Well, yes it is already flying across the media landscape, but it has yet to make much of a statement on Midwestern lawns and car bumpers.  All of that is still missing.

Maybe people are slow about getting fired up because they sense the presidential election isn't even going to be close.  If that's the case, I predict it means bad news for Trump.

No comments: