Friday, June 21, 2024

Sandpoint, USA

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

I'm safely back in the good old USA after three days of crossing Canada's very beautiful and monotonous Prairie Provinces.  Today I finally made it to the Rocky Mountains and crossed at a place called "Crowsnest."  The mountain drive was spectacular!  I returned to the US around noon today through the border crossing at the little Canadian town of Yahk, British Columbia, which brought me into the Idaho Panhandle.

The Panhandle is full of gun-toting Trump crazies, but it is also extremely scenic with one of the country's largest and deepest freshwater lakes, and mountains that form a major skiing destination in the winter.  As you drive south into the Idaho Panhandle from Canada, Sandpoint is the second small city along the way, and it is a place of incomparable scenic beauty.  My favorite cousin lives in Sandpoint in the summers, and this is my third visit to her town.  We will be having dinner later this evening and catching up - and tomorrow I will be back on the road heading toward Oregon.

(As a bit of local color, Sandpoint is the birthplace of Sarah Palin.)

I had a couple of close calls on the road today, no accidents, but near misses, so I am ready to get some rest tonight and hopefully start out a lot fresher tomorrow.

For my friends in the Noel area, I crossed "Elk River" three times in British Columbia today!

More tomorrow.

No comments: