Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Salem Wrap-Up

by Pa Rock
Traveling Grandpa


The rain finally stopped falling in Salem, Oregon, (at least for yesterday) which gave me and the grandkids an opportunity to play outside.  They live on a hill with a winding sidewalk that makes for a grand prix of wagon-racing.  Sebastian has a souped-up Radio Flyer that he calls his “wagon machine” – which really gets to rolling.  Willow and Judah take turns riding a smaller wagon.  All three are world-class daredevils – and all wear their helmets, of course! 

Willow and I played soccer and she managed to keep me chasing the ball – and Judah brought out several of his cars and set up a track in the gravel.   Judah is a big fan of the Disney “Cars” movies, and his dream is to visit the new amusement park based on those movies which is apparently located at Disneyland in California.

I don’t think there is any way that I can convey how much I have enjoyed this visit with my Oregon grandchildren.  They are so much fun to be around – and, of course, growing up way too quickly.  Molly and Scott work very hard to give them all of the love and attention that they deserve.

We had lunch downtown yesterday at a place called “The Rock” which specializes in wood-fired pizzas and burgers – and rock music.  Scott works nearby, so he was able to join us.  Molly drove us by the Oregon State Capitol on the way to lunch.  She pointed out an area next to the building where she noted that lots of protests are held, and her malcontent father chimed in that protests are often good things.  That’s me, always a teacher!

I head out to Portland this afternoon and will board a plane back to Kansas City in the morning.  It’s been a short visit, but Pa Rock is always extra careful not to wear out his welcome – and, in the immortal words of General Douglas MacArthur, “I shall return”  - probably in the fall when the mowing starts to taper off.

Life on the road is exciting, but there’s no place like home!

No comments: