Saturday, June 14, 2014

Eastward Ho! (Day Sixteen) Home at Last!

by Pa Rock
Wagon Master

Boone and I made it back to my home in West Plains around 1:30 this afternoon.  Nothing much has changed.  It has rained most of the time we have been gone, and the grass and weeds are knee-high.  The girls out in the hen lot seemed awfully happy to see me, and, by a complicated count, they all appear to be present and accounted for.  The four turkeys have really grown.  They are quite a bit larger than the chickens and now look to be two gobblers and two hens.

The last leg of the journey home, from Kansas City to West Plains, proved to be the hardest - with the wagon master missing two different turns and making the team pull the big wagon several unnecessary miles.  According the the pedometer that I attached to the leg of Babe, the big lead ox, our trip totaled 5,488 miles.  During that long drive we visited thirteen states and three national parks - and saw many miles of the rugged Pacific coastline.

I suspect that Boone will remember our trek out west for many years to come - and I know that I certainly will.

But, it is good to be back home!

1 comment:

Mineko said...

Safely at last. I'm so happy for you! Please have a good rest.