Thursday, April 4, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence, Rising Star

by Pa Rock
Film Fan

This afternoon my sister took me to see Silver Linings Playbook which was on the last night of its run at the local cinema.    Even though Gail had seen it before, she assured me that I would like it - and she seemed eager for a second viewing.   After the film began, it was quickly apparent that this would be an afternoon well spent.

The film stars Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper as young people trying to come to grips with their mental health issues as they slowly begin to discover an attraction to each other.  Both actors did a superb job in defining their characters and making them sympathetic to the audience.  Both gave Oscar-worthy performances, both were nominated, and Lawrence won the Oscar for Best Actress.

And her award was not a fluke.  As the show ended, I turned to my sister and said, with conviction:  "She earned that Oscar."

Ms. Lawrence also won the Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, and Independent Spirit Awards for Best Actress as a result of her work in Silver Linings Playbook.

I saw my first Jennifer Lawrence movie a few weeks ago when I caught Winter's Bone on television.  She gave a very believable performance as Ree Dolly, an Ozarks teen struggling to hold her family together and save the family home which had been used to secure the bail for her meth-dealing father.   She was exceptional in that role, and even more so in Silver Linings Playbook.  Her versatility and acting ability are amazing.

Jennifer Lawrence is a star on the rise.  After winning Best Actress in four major venues, she will undoubtedly have access to some wonderful roles - and we will all benefit from that!

1 comment:

Don said...

I've seen both those movies, too, and think she's a bona fide superstar in the making.