Sunday, June 5, 2011

Catching Up

by Pa Rock
Housekeeper


Sunday evening, the sun is setting, and I am just completing my first weekend at home in two weeks.  I didn't get everything done that I had planned for these two days off, but it was a productive time nonetheless.

Somehow I managed to wash three loads of laundry, including all of the dirty clothes that I brought back from Yoron, and get them all folded and put away.  That was an amazing feat by itself.  I also did some cooking that will see me through the coming week.

I did get several of the photos from Yoron posted on the web this weekend.  You can view them on my other blog at   www.okinawanodyssey.blogspot.com.

During the past few days I completed reading one book, Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea  (a re-read from my youth), and have begun Dirty Havana Trilogy by Cuban author and journalist Pedro Juan Gutierrez.  The Gutierrez book is a first person accounting of life among the underclass in Cuba in the early 1990's.  It is very poignant - and bawdy enough to legitimize the title.

I made it to the gym on Camp Foster twice this weekend.  All of the treadmills at Gunners' Fitness Center are now set to run only 30 minutes and then go into a five-minute cool-down mode before shutting off.  Yesterday I managed 1.91 miles in 35 minutes and was huffing and puffing to accomplish even that.  Today I did 2.03 miles in the same time period - in relative ease.  The secret, I suspect, has to do with regularity of effort.

I also managed to make a trip to the commissary where ninety dollars bought enough food for the next couple of weeks.  Armed Forces Network tells us that the commissary operates "at cost" plus five percent for upkeep - and that an average shopper will save thirty percent by shopping there over time.  Overall, I think that is a crock, but the occasional bargain does occasionally hit the shelves.

That's about it - except that in my spare time I am writing a long and somewhat complicated poem (or is it a ballad?) about a murder.  For a person who lives alone, there is never a shortage of things to do!

No comments: