Monday, August 16, 2010

What Would Jesus Do?

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


I came across a small, silver "Jesus fish" pin as I was unpacking my stuff this afternoon.  Emblazoned on the tiny fish were the letters WWJD, shorthand for What would Jesus do?  I have no idea where it came from, but it was probably slipped to me by some well-meaning proselytizer who had concerns about my immortal soul.   (Maybe one of the packers in Arizona dropped in my belongings after seeing all of my left-wing reading material!)

I have always enjoyed the challenge of trying to put myself in Christ's shoes when making a decision or taking a position.  Well, actually what I have enjoyed is watching the fundamentalist zealots try to rationalize their hate and bigotry by running it through some imaginary Jesus filter.  Somehow, I think I have just as much right to be Christ's mind reader as any of those Bible-thumping idiots.

Just what would Jesus do?

My Jesus, the one with a passion for life and a sense  of humor, wouldn't get all twisted about a mosque at "ground zero" in New York City, and he would probably frequent the place and make new friends.  He wouldn't despise a religion, or a set of ideas, or a group of people.  He would embrace them and learn from them.

My Jesus would attend gay weddings and have a great time.  He would also probably bring the wine.

My Jesus would be out in the Sonora Desert of the hottest days of the summer giving water and comfort to immigrants as they risked their lives to build a better future for their families.  He would lead them through the wilderness to safety and acceptance.

My Jesus would encourage brotherhood beyond borders, learning for its own sake, having fun, and following the Golden Rule.  

My Jesus would be a fun guy for all eternity - not the angry asshole that the fundamentalists would like to foist upon us.  

One of my friends has a "Jesus fish" bumper sticker.  It has four little feet, and the word "Darwin" written on its side.  My Jesus would get a laugh out of that!

No comments: