Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Home at the End of the Trailer Park

by Pa Rock
Desert Rat

I am now officially and completely out of Palm Valley Luxury Rentals and safely ensconced, bag and baggage, in Unit 77 at Litchfield Village. I was able to make the break yesterday by taking the day off from work and moving the last five carloads of my life on up the road to the trailer park. Now I have boxes piled inside and outside of my dwelling. It will take weeks to get it all unpacked and put away.

I have gotten into the habit of sitting on the front porch every evening and reading. Many of the neighbors walk past my place as the sun is going down, and they all stop and exchange pleasantries. It is very much like residing in a small town, something of which I am very familiar.

I have set up two small bird feeders and a birdbath in the back yard (actually, the back gravel patch). The little birds discovered them the first day. They go through about a pound of birdseed a day. When I pull in after work, they are marching around the empty feeders and making a fuss. They get fed before I even make it into the house.

I have also come up with some big planters and a few new cacti - the kind that will get very large - as well as some of those wonderfully fragrant dark purple petunias. This weekend I will be busy getting the landscaping up to my standards. Litchfield Village is a beautiful trailer court, with blooming flowers everywhere, and many giant cacti. Some are so large that they actually appear to be covered with tree bark near their base.

If you come to see me, I will probably be outside scratching in the dirt, trying my best to tame a little piece of the desert. Frozen margaritas will be served at sunset!

2 comments:

Phillipia said...

You got me at the frozen margaritas:)

BK in MO said...

So the Rock is now trailer trash??? LOL. Actually, a mobile home is way better than an apartment, any day. Hope you have a great time there.
Are you ever coming home? I mean, to Missouri? Or, are you in Phoenix until you rejoin the Universe?