Friday, April 24, 2009

A Moving Experience

by Pa Rock
One Man and a Car

I have now completed fifteen trips up and down Litchfield Road moving my junk into the new digs. The new place is looking crowded with boxes and piles everywhere, while the old place is starting to sound and feel hollow. Tomorrow some friends will help me with the big stuff, and tomorrow night I will collapse and spend my first night in Litchfield Village - Unit #77.

One of my favorite movies is playing tonight on TCM, and I am using it for background noise while I pack. The movie is Neil Simon's Seems Like Old Times with Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase, and Charles Grodin. And even though I have seen this classic several times, though not recently, I still laugh so hard at Simon's snappy dialogue that the neighbors downstairs are probably wondering why I didn't invite them to the party!

I read a critique of Neil Simon one time that suggested he is the 20th century version of William Shakespeare. He is prolific, like Shakespeare, and writes in a style that the common man cannot help but enjoy. The snobs among us may not consider Simon to be a serious playwright, but any evening watching one of his works will always be a good time.

I wonder why Neil Simon has never tackled the subject of a pack rat trying to move his life's accumulation of crap, one carload at a time? No, that's too pathetic to be the source of any humor!

No comments: