Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In the Cage with Sinclair Lewis

by Pa Rock
Innocent Blogger

I received two interesting posts to this blog yesterday morning. One was from a local cage fighter named P.T. Royal who replied to my posting of February 28th. Mr. Royal seemed to like what I had written about his strenuous past time, and he offered to teach me the fine art of cage fighting if I would meet him at his gym in Tempe. I guess that I'm not to old to move into a new career!

The other response was to the recent post entitled "My Favorite Republican." The lady who replied did not seem to think much of Meghan McCain or Log Cabin Republicans, and she was promoting the notion that strength comes through having conservative views. I checked her homepage and found it to be very interesting. There was an animated U.S. flag waving at the top of the page, and religious crosses spread liberally (pun intended) throughout the content. The conflation of patriotism and religion makes me nervous - and gets me crazy - no matter whose country and whose religion are being blended into a political philosophy. When that happens, I always remember the wonderful quote attributed to Sinclair Lewis:

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

Amen, Brother Lewis. Amen!

No comments: