Sunday, September 28, 2008

They're Back!

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

Arizona's state bird, the blue-haired snowbird, has started its annual migration into the Valley of Hell. They flock here from all over the United States and Canada seeking a place to park their RV's and flabby rears in the winter sunshine.

I was in a convenience store earlier this week when I realized the invasion had begun. Normally, that little store might have a maximum of six customers during a "rush" period, but that day there were three long lines of seniors (most of whom were decades older than me!) pushing their carts, each and everyone heaped to overflowing with alcohol, toward the checkout counter. I mean to tell you they were emptying the booze counters and coolers of that little store! It was as if they didn't have liquor where they came from, and while they were wintering in the desert, they were determined to drink it dry!

When I finally made it to the checkout counter, I felt and acted on the need to apologize to the clerk for not buying any booze. "That's all right," she told me. "I'll check you out anyway." We then commiserated over the fact that neither of us had been invited to any of the snowbird parties.

But, it's going to be a long, hot winter, so we may make it onto some of the guest lists yet!

No comments: