Friday, September 24, 2021

Planet's Privileged Roll Up Their Sleeves for Shot #3


by Pa Rock
Believer in Science

The Centers for Disease Control announced yesterday that it has approved a COVID booster shot for people (like me) who are over the age of 65 and received two initial doses of the Pfizer vaccine more than six months ago.  I received the initial doses through a large clinic that was set up and run by my county health department, so today I called them and learned that I could received the booster if I was immuno-compromised, but Type-2 diabetes did not qualify, and they are still waiting on more guidance before giving shots to those who qualify strictly based on age.  Then I called Walgreen's and got essentially the same message from a damnable phone machine.

I guess I am unclear as to why the CDC would make a general announcement and then fail to provide all of the necessary information to the people who will actually be administering the shots.

But I am not complaining.  I will keep my mask on, my sleeve rolled up, and my happy butt at home until the vaccine starts flowing - and I will be thankful, though embarrassed, that I live in a part of the world where there is enough concentrated wealth to vaccinate the entire population - if the entire population was smart enough to take advantage of their privilege - and I will continue to feel guilt over the millions of people in the world who don't have access to clean water and an adequate food supply, much less to life-saving vaccines.

For those who are burdened with a conscience, the inequity of wealth and privilege will kill a good vaccine buzz every time!

No comments: