Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Clipped and Boosterized!

 
by Pa Rock
Fully-Vaxxed American

Most days I don't go into town at all, but today I have been twice already, and it's not even noon yet!

I had an overdue appointment with the podiatrist early this morning for diabetic foot care, a visit which entails a cursory visual examination of my feet followed by a heaven-sent clipping of my toenails.  I used to get that service monthly at the Senior Center, but about the time the pandemic closed them down a new podiatrist arrived in town who would clip toenails.  My first three or four visits were scheduled three months apart, which I considered a bit too long, but beggars cannot be choosers!  The last time I went I was scheduled four months out, but I did not complain because I figured the young doctor was going on a well deserved summer vacation that would interrupt his routine.

This time, after four months, my toenails were literally like claws.  I politely pointed this out to the doctor and his assistant, both of whom told me to request a three-month appointment as I checked out - which I did.  The girl at the desk smiled when I asked for three months and told me that she could "fit me in" in February.  She didn't seem to have a medical degree, so I felt that I could be a tad more plain spoken with her.  "Three months," I repeated, and held up three fingers in case she was a visual learner.  "I'm sorry," she smiled back, "but the doctor's first opening is in February."  I took the appointment, but asked to get placed on her magic waiting list in case of cancellations.

The problem, I suspect, is that all of those  other damned old people have learned that he does toenails.  How dare they interfere with my racket treatment!

But for today at least, my toes feel great, finally!

Then I came home and was sorting through my email and learned that there was a Pfizer booster clinic going on in town, so I raced back into town, got into a gaggle of old people, and eventually got my COVID booster shot.

Now, as the clock inches toward the noon hour, I am beginning to think about lunch and how best to catch back up with my day that seems to have rushed on by.

I guess that I am making progress, but that may be open to interpretation!

No comments: