Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Life Happened

by Pa Rock
Self-Absorbed Typist

I had stuff to write about today, an important porridge of provocation centering on . . . well, important national stuff, bad stuff.   I had a full head of steam and was ready to blast my rage onto this blog space - but then life happened.

I have been dealing with a refrigerator failure for a couple of days now, and when an appliance that important to health and well-being goes down - always in the heat of summer - it becomes a draining and life-changing experience.    The same problem happened a year ago, and the repairman that I was able to locate managed to fix it.  So when the current problem started, I had a relatively good idea of what was happening.

The repairman, of course, had gone out of business and disappeared in the interim, as small town service providers are prone to do.   The only other repairman that I was able to locate showed up twice during the day, with two different diagnoses - neither of which solved the problem, then announced that he was ordering a part, and would be back in two days.

This morning I went to a large appliance retailer here in town, discovered that he had only one refrigerator in stock - other than those on the floor - gave him a big wad of money and raced home to empty the old machine.  The new refrigerator has now been installed, and the old one has been moved to the garage where I will let the novice repairman experiment for awhile, and eventually, probably after I fix it, will become my backup refrigerator and freezer.

Today I have made several trips out to the compost pile to throw away what was recently good food, and I have moved things that had adorned my old refrigerator to the storage shed.   It is still shy of three in the afternoon, and I have already walked almost as many steps as I did up until bedtime yesterday.

Oh, and I also got the day started by going to the local hospital and getting strapped to a heart monitor which I have to keep on for twenty-four hours.

Jeffrey Epstein, you are on deck for tomorrow.  Don't expect me to be pleasant - or kind!

No comments: