Monday, February 20, 2023

The Long Road Back to Normal

 
by Pa Rock
One-Armed Wonder 

It was just barely daylight on Monday morning, the 30th day of January, and I was outside at my little farm in the Missouri Ozarks taking care of a few morning chores when I slipped on the ice and managed to break my left arm.  The break was just below the shoulder in an area that cannot be secured by a plaster cast.  Less than three years earlier I had broken my right arm just below the shoulder when I had fallen backwards out of an elevated flower bed, so I knew the drill and had a good idea of the slow adventures in healing which awaited me.
 
This morning marks three weeks since the accident.   The orthopedist has told me that it would take approximately six weeks before the healing would kick into high gear.  (Somehow ”high-kicking” does not sound appropriate for this blog posting!)
 
My youngest son, Tim, came to West Plains on February 2nd and transported me to his home in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City where I have been residing for the past eighteen days.   Tim and his family have been very gracious to Rosie and me during our extended stay, and we have enjoyed being around them, but today the Kansas adventure ends and we are headed home!
 
By way of a medical update, my arm is already noticeably better with a wider range-of-movement, and I am now able to do some tasks which were giving me trouble when the break was new – such as giving myself insulin shots four times a day with hands that have been impaired for years by basic tremors.  Thanks to the nice reprieve In Kansas, I think that I will now be able to manage necessary chores and survival skills on my own.
 
Having family who were willing to step in and share my medical burdens for the past couple of weeks has certainly been a blessing!   Tim, Erin, Olive, and Sully – Pa Rock and Rosie love you all very much.  Thank you for allowing us to share in your lives!

Thanks also to Tim's siblings, Molly - who has been doing some medical services' research for me during my convalescence, and Nick - who has taken care of things at home during my absence.   It is great to have all of that family support!

No comments: