Friday, February 3, 2023

AC/DC and Cousin Minnie Pearl

 
by Pa Rock
Chronic Complainer

Rosie and I have relocated to Roeland Park, Kansas, for a couple of days. My son, Tim, showed up at our home in West Plains yesterday and took me to a doctor's appointment where I met with my orthopedist, and then brought Rosie and I to his home in Kansas where we can be better looked after.
 
I broke my arm, the left one this time, last Monday morning at daylight.   An ambulance transported me to the local hospital's emergency room where I received minimal attention before being sent home in a used-farm-truck-ride-share that looked and smelled like a used-farm-truck-ride-share.   (I'm not complaining about the ride-share because at my age that may be the only chance I ever get to be driven around town by a member of the rock group AC/DC, let alone a lead singer!) 
 
Rosie and I were totally alone at home for 48 hours, and during that time I learned a lot about my limitations.  I discovered, for instance, that I'm not strong enough to open a bottle of tea with one hand, nor am I dexterous enough to get out of a sweatshirt while wearing a stabilizer belt, one that the emergency room personnel had installed backward.  (Harry Houdini probably couldn't have done it either!)  Rosie and I couldn't even enjoy the distraction of going to the mailbox because of the ice that kept falling throughout much of the time that we were stuck in the house.   Fortunately there were no power outages at Rock's Roost during our captivity!
 
Going to the doctor’s yesterday was a real Cousin Minnie Pearl experience.  I couldn't get a shirt on over my stabilizer belt so I went without one, but I did have the decency and good taste to cover up with a large winter coat.   It was a new coat that I bought a couple of years ago for a trip that wound up being cancelled due to the pandemic - and I knew when I put it on that the coat probably had a price tag dangling from it someplace since I'd never worn it before - but I couldn't find it, the price tag, that is.  It wasn't until I was leaving the doctor's office that I caught sight of my reflection in a window and saw the price tag hanging from the coat pocket.   It was about the size of my hand!  Cousin Minnie would have been so proud!

That's why they don't let me out much!

No comments: