Saturday, February 4, 2023

Biden Declines to Shoot Down Chinese Balloon - Until Today

 
by Pa Rock
Human Being

Yesterday a large Chinese observation balloon drifted across the United States at approximately 60,000 feet.   The Chinese government claims the balloon's flight path was accidental and that it posed no threat to US national security - but GOP Putin bootlickers in Congress were vociferous in their demands that the Biden administration shoot it down.  Fortunately Joe Biden does not take leadership advice from morons,  traitors, or Russian operatives.

Rep. Marge Greene of Georgia was particularly incensed over the balloon's presence which was more than eleven miles above the central United States - and well above the flight paths of all US air traffic.  Another GOP intellectual heavyweight, Donald Trump, Junior, who earned his masculinity merit badge by hunting and killing endangered animals, suggested that patriotic Americans might forgo waiting in their government to respond to the obvious threat of a runaway balloon by rushing out into their own yards and firing their own guns at the evil balloon.  It was, after all, a mere eleven miles overhead. Take the shot, Junior,  take the shot!

In fact, if every armed paranoid delusional in America would haul all of their high-powered weaponry out into their yards and begin firing straight up into the air - what a wonderful world this could be!

I broke my arm earlier this week and am currently staying with my son and his family as a safety measure.  Staying in a strange home poses its own unique challenges.  Yesterday afternoon I had taken a nap in my temporary quarters with the door closed.  When I awoke I was very uncomfortable and wanted to get up - but try as I might I was unable to pull myself upright and get out of the bed.  

I yelled for help several times, but everyone seemed to be gone and I was home alone.  As panic began to set in, my situation seemed to be getting worse.  Finally, after even more yelling, I heard alight tapping at the bedroom door.  It was Ella, the somewhat shy and timid foreign exchange student who lives with Tim and his family.  After some major exertions, Ella managed to get ne extricated from my situation - and I was able to quickly regain my composure.

I was alone, and scared, and in pain - and it was a very kind young woman from Beijing, China, who came to my rescue.  It wasn't Marge Greene or bleary-eyed Junior Trump along with a platoon of gun-totting, white nationalist Christians pretending to do God's work through bigotry and hatred.  

Political and religious extremists who define patriotism and freedom as seeing the world exactly as they do scare me.   Bigotry, intolerance and injustice scare me.  Book bans scare me, and angry, under-educated people telling schools what they can and cannot teach to other people's children scare me.  The rising costs of healthcare and prescription drugs scare me.  Members of Congress wearing lapel pins paying homage to weapons that have sent literally hundreds of American school children to their graves scare me, and unstable young men with semi-automatic guns and weapons-of-war scare the hell out of me.  Marge Greene, she scares me - and so does Junior.

Chinese people do not scare me, nor do balloons.

Update:  Biden had the big balloon shot down just off of the coast of South Carolina this afternoon.  Perhaps polls scare him.

No comments: