Sunday, March 22, 2020

Of Meat, and Guns, and Toilet Paper!

by Pa Rock
Local Shopper

There is an independent butcher shop that I like to frequent here in West Plains.   It is clean and orderly with a nice variety of fresh meats - and well staffed to insure a minimum wait time. Once a month or so I go there to stock up on ground chuck, sausage, and a roast or two for the crockpot. The store also has steaks, chicken, and shrimp - as well as a nice selection of cheeses.  The things that I buy there go a long way toward supplementing my monthly grocery needs.

The butcher shop is always busy, yet never what I would describe as unnecessarily crowded.

Yesterday I stopped by this neighborhood market looking for stew meat - which I found.  I also found a clamoring crowd of people, a most disconcerting discovery in the little business that had once been outside of the main thrust of the city's business traffic.  It was busy.  In fact, it was about two clicks south of being in a panic situation.  One grizzled shopper was lamenting to anyone within hearing distance, "Walmart's done run out of hamburger!"

Jesus Horatio Christ!  Walmart is out of hamburger, and people living in rusted-out mobile homes with holes in the floor and no in-door plumbing are buying more guns to protect their toilet paper!

I grabbed two pounds of stew meat - and three one-pound packages of ground chuck - and hit the door a-runnin'!   My toilet paper was home alone!

No comments: