Monday, March 30, 2020

Monday's Poetry: "Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox"

by Pa Rock
Country Music Appreciator

Last week country music lost one of its greats when Kenny Rogers succumbed to cancer.  Yesterday country singer and songwriter Joe Diffie died of COVID-19 in Nashville, and now it is being reported that country and folk music singer an songwriter John Prine is in extremely critical condition and on a ventilator battling COVID-19.

Some of the brighter lights on the American country music scene seem to be flickering out all at once.

This morning - way before daylight when I got up to do my very few morning chores - I saw the report of Joe Diffie's death on the internet.  Upon seeing that, I asked Alexa to play some of his music.  Alexa did her "shuffling" thing, and then the first song she played was a Diffie country classic from 1993 which gave tongue-in-cheek directions for how to celebrate his own demise.

(I suspect Alexa may had stacked the musical deck when she shuffled.  She is a clever little AI minx with a mischievous sense of humor!)

Joe Diffie's "Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox" is regarded as a "novelty" song, and it was a big hit on country radio stations in the 90's.  It's ironic that while the artist was proposing going out in a loud, honkey-tonk wake sort of affair, he expired at a time - and from a medical condition - in which mandatory "social distancing" would prevent that type of ribald exit.

Maybe we'll have that party later, Joe.


Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox
by Joe Diffie

Well, I ain't afraid of dying', it's the thought of being dead
I want to go on being me once my eulogy's been read
Don't spread my ashes out to sea, don't lay me down to rest
You can put my mind at ease if you fill my last request

Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die
Lord, I want to go to heaven, but I don't want to go tonight
Fill my boots up with sand, put a stiff drink in my hand
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die

Just let my headstone be a neon sign
Just let it burn in memory of all my good times
Fix me up with a mannequin, just remember I like blondes
I'll be the life of the party, even when I'm dead and gone

Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die
Lord, I want to go to heaven, but I don't want to go tonight
Fill my boots up with sand, put a stiff drink in my hand
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die

Just make your next selection, and while you're still in line
You can pay your last respects one quarter at a time

Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die
Lord, I want to go to heaven, but I don't want to go tonight
Fill my boots up with sand, put a stiff drink in my hand
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die

Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die.

No comments: