Friday, March 8, 2019

Political Sleight-of-Hand

by Pa Rock
Careful Consumer

The Democrats, God love them, have my name and email address on their master list of "soft touches," and as a result I have heard from all of the announced candidates as well as most of the unannounced candidates, and all, save one, have felt comfortable enough with me to request campaign donations.   (Beto O'Rourke has so far avoided the vulgarity of asking for cash, but I suspect that once he announces - and he will announce - he will be holding his hand out just as relentlessly as the rest of the pack.)

The pitch for cash runs along two tracks.  One is that the campaigns would like any amount (I had several from Hillary in the last cycle begging for just one dollar) because any contribution at all makes the donor a part of "the team" and serves as a psychological hook or commitment to that candidate. The other track is that the campaigns operate off of donations and would really like to milk each donor for the absolute maximum which he or she is capable of giving.

I had two campaign emails this week that tried to approach me on each of those tracks.  Cory Booker sent an email with the subject line saying that I could get a free "Cory" sticker.  I began reading the email and thought, "Why not?"  I like Senator Booker and he could conceivably become my favorite for the nomination.  If I took his "free" sticker, and especially if I chose to display it on my vehicle, it would hook me to his team, but I felt that was a condition I could rise above if need be.  I had about decided to send for my free "Cory" sticker when I made it down to the "blue" words in the email, those which you press to actually commit, and those words told me that the "free" bumper sticker would be mine for a donation of just three dollars!

No thanks, Cory.  I'm sure I could get it cheaper on Amazon!

And then my old pal Bernie also wrote.  Bernie, like Cory, wanted three dollars - and his email stated that clearly in the header.  I had been on Bernie's team in 2016, and somebody rummaging through the list of this year's donors probably noticed that Pa Rock had yet to cough up his tithe.  Three bucks, Rock, and you will be safely back in the fold.  What a deal!

I read on and got down to the blue lettering where the actual commitment was to be made, and there the three dollar buy-in had suddenly jumped to fifteen!  Bernie, who is too old to be President anyway, was not going to get my three dollars, and I sure as hell wasn't going to send him fifteen!  If he does somehow manage to out distance the younger and more vibrant field of Democratic candidates and grab the nomination, I will give him my vote in the general election - and he should appreciate that - but my money will go to other causes.

I don't mind being hit up for donations, but I do mind being treated as though I am the political equivalent of a Trump supporter who is so dumb that he will fall for anything.   If I want to enjoy some sleight-of-hand, I will take my money to the carnival!

Honesty will win the race.

No comments: